The goal of the Disability Unit is to facilitate access to higher education for students with disabilities. The DU strives to create an enabling environment that empowers differently-abled students to achieve their full potential through the provision of a range of services which include:
- Confidential consultation sessions.
- Concession application for assessments (e.g. extra time, use of assistive devices, venues, etc.)
- Test and examination arrangements.
- Collaborating with lecturers, residence managers, student finance and wellness centre to provide support to these students.
- Training, assistance and advice regarding assistive hardware and software.
- Proving assistive devices and technology at the Disability Lab
- Support with Disability bursary applications.
- Access to study material in alternative formats (braille, audio, electronic text)
The DU recognises the stigma attached to disability and runs awareness campaigns to educate students and staff about persons with disabilities. The DU space which was officially opened on 19 May 2022 is an important landmark for students with disabilities on the Bloemfontein campus. The assistive devices and technology in the Disability Lab communicate the University’s commitment to inclusivity.
Sign Language Interpreters available on both campuses
Contact the team
Bloemfontein Campus: Ms Simoné du Preez, email@example.com
Welkom Campus: Ms Nomalungelo Mvubu, firstname.lastname@example.org
Where to find us?
Bloemfontein Campus: Student Academic Support Centre, Room 129Uploaded: 24 February 2023