Please note: the information shared on this webpage is that of the National Student Financial Aid Scheme (NSFAS) and does not belong to the Central University of Technology, Free State. The information is shared to assist prospecitve and current students. The University does not take responsibility for the communication.
Apply for NSFAS funding and make your 2020 academic journey comfortable
The South African Government is aware most households struggle to pay the hefty academic costs for their kids to complete their desired qualifications. This is why the NSFAS is tasked with ensuring that no deserving student is barred from achieving their dreams due to their poor financial background. NSFAS administers funding for potential professionals from poor and working-class families who can’t afford study fees on behalf of the Department of Higher Education, Science and Technology.
Who qualifies for the NSFAS funding?
- Any South African citizen who is currently studying or plans on studying at a public university or TVET college.
- The combined household income of the applicant who has registered at a public institution from 2018 or plans to register in 2020 for the first time must not exceed R350 000 per annum.
- The combined household income of an applicant who has registered prior to 2018 must not exceed R122 000 per annum.
- The combined household income of persons with disabilities must not exceeding R600 000 per annum.
Who should not apply?
- Non-South African citizens.
- Students that have completed a previous university qualification, unless you are applying for an approved funded Post-graduate qualification.
- Students who have already applied, qualified and received funding for 2019. They are automatically funded for the duration of their studies, provided they pass their modules and meet the academic requirements.
You will need the following supporting documents to apply
All applicants are required to submit:
- Certified copy of your ID, not older than 3 months.
- A signed and completed consent form.
If you are dependent on your parents/guardian/spouse, please provide:
- Certified ID copies of parent/s, guardian, spouse not older than 3 months.
- Proof of income of parent, guardian or spouse (payslip or appointment letter).
If you are self-sufficient (no parent/guardian support) please provide:
- Proof of income (payslip or appointment letter).
- 3yrs IRP5
If you have a disability, please provide
Completed and signed Annexure A (if your information is not pre-populated on the portal).
If you are an orphan, please provide
Completed and signed Declaration Form.
Other documents required, if applicable:
- Retrenchment letter
- Death certificate/s
- Divorce decree
* Note: If you are a SASSA recipient then no proof of income is required
How can you apply?
Visit www.nsfas.org.za and create your myNSFAS account
- After creating the account, log in and click the Apply tab: fill in your personal/required information and upload your supporting documents (personal information is pre-populated, provide your information is up-to-date at the Department of Home Affairs).
- Once you have filled in all required information, click on the ‘Submit’ option to complete your application and note your application Reference number.
Once approved for NSFAS funding, the bursary will pay for:
Registration fee, tuition fees, food, study material, personal care allowance, travelling and accommodation where necessary.
Don’t just apply for yourself, tell your friends to tell their friends to apply too.
Below are the NSFAS contact details for more information
Contact Centre Toll Free number: 08000 67327
Facebook: National Student Financial Aid Scheme
Fine art students at CUT showcase their talent at the annual art exhibitionFaculty of Humanities Design and Studio Art CUT News Students
The Design and Studio Art exhibition gave students a platform to showcase their talent and meet with...
CUT’s Oral health education outreach programme a successFaculty of Health and Environmental Sciences Clinical Sciences Health Sciences Life Sciences CUT News Students Community Engagement
Demonstration time from left: Grade R learners, Boitshepo and van Rooyen are tasked to demonstrate the...
Dr Brand Pretorius receives an honorary DoctorateFaculty of Humanities Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences Faculty of Engineering, Built Environment and Information Technology Faculty of Management Sciences CUT News Research and Innovation Students Welkom Campus
Prof. Henk de Jager, Vice-Chancellor and Principal (middle) and Prof. David Ngidi, Deputy Vice-Chancellor:...