The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) at the CUT has been funded through the Department of Higher Education & Training (DHET) Teaching and Development Grant (TDG) since 2014. The mission of the SoTL at CUT since its inception has been to:
- improve the quality of teaching and learning;
- encourage academics to reflect on their practices through research;
- contribute to increasing research outputs for the Institution; and,
- create Groups of Communities of Practices (GCPs) to work on specific domains of learning and teaching.
The impact of SoTL on teaching and learning has been phenomenal. This is seen from the number of participants in workshops, colloquia, conferences, and research outputs as discussed in full under SoTL in the sections below. The TDG made it possible for national and international conference attendances by academics. This resulted in:
- Good Teaching (Teaching that promotes student learning and other related student outcomes;
- Scholarly Teaching (Teaching that is supported by a body of research to increase effectiveness); and,
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) (Combination of reflection and knowledge which yields questions about teaching for study).
The aim of SoTL
CUT SoTL is located within the Centre for Innovation in Learning and Teaching (CILT).
The aim of the project is:
- To promote the scholarship of teaching and learning and to improve teaching and learning by encouraging academic staff to research and reflect their teaching and learning practices.
- To promote scholarly teaching by sharing good practices with national and international peers through conferences.
- To create a platform for staff development to promote quality learning and teaching through colloquia, workshops & seminars.
- To increase research outputs for the institution and mentor staff on writing for publications.
- To enhance the quality of teaching and learning in line with the CHE QEP project.
- Mopeli Dineo
- Tel: +27 (0)51 507 3027
- View details
Centre for Innovation in Learning and Teaching (CILT)
Curriculum and Academic Staff Development (CASD)
Special Projects (Teaching and Learning)
7th Annual International Conference on Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) in Higher Education
- 6 - 07 October 2022