The Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) at the CUT has been funded through the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) Teaching and Development Grant (TDG) since 2014. The mission of the SoTL at CUT since its inception has been to:
- improve the quality of teaching and learning;
- encourage academics to reflect on their practices through research;
- contribute to increasing research outputs for the Institution; and,
- create Groups of Communities of Practices (GCPs) to work on specific domains of learning and teaching.
The impact of SoTL on teaching and learning has been phenomenal. This is seen from the number of participants in workshops, colloquia, conferences and research outputs as discussed in full under SoTL in the sections below. The TDG made it possible for national and international conference attendances by academics. This resulted in:
- Good Teaching (Teaching that promotes student learning and other related student outcomes;
- Scholarly Teaching (Teaching that is supported by a body of research to increase effectiveness); and,
- Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) (Combination of reflection and knowledge which yields questions about teaching for study).
CUT SoTL is located within theCentre for Innovation in Learning and Teaching (CILT)The aim of the project is:
- To promote the scholarship of teaching and learning and to improve teaching and learning by encouraging academic staff to research and reflect their teaching and learning practices.
- To promote scholarly teaching by sharing good practices with national and international peers through conferences.
- To create a platform for staff development to promote quality learning and teaching through colloquia, workshops & seminars.
- To increase research outputs for the institution and mentor staff on writing for publications.
- To enhance the quality of teaching and learning in line with the CHE QEP project.
- The first writing for publication workshop was organised for the 10 and 11 November 2015.
- SoTL Colloquium held on 27 February 2015 which was facilitated by Prof. B Leibowitz and Prof. D Hay-Swemmer. The focus of the colloquium was to develop a framework for SoTL at CUT.
- SoTL Workshop held on 15 and 16 April 2015. The workshop was facilitated by Prof. I. Scott. The focus of the colloquium was on locating SoTL within the higher education landscape.
- SoTL Colloquium held on 17 and 18 June 2015 facilitated by Dr Pat Strauss. Dr Strauss focused on locating SoTL within the context of writing for academic purposes.
- SoTL Workshop held from 29 to 31 July 2015 facilitated by Prof. K Trigwell. The thrust of the workshop was to locate SoTL within the international context, and to explore models for improving practice through SoTL.
- 1st Annual Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Conference hosted in 2015.
- 2nd Annual International Scholarship of Teaching Learning Conference hosted in 2016.
- 3rd Annual International Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Conference to be hosted in October 2017.
Participants at the 2016 CUT SoTL
The delegation from Rajabhat
Mahasarakham University, Thailand to SoTL conference 2016.