Communiqué to CUT community: Embracing Vision 2030 - Recent developments pertaining to our entrepreneurship drive at CUT
Dear CUT Community
As you are aware, we have commenced on our journey towards Vision 2030, which states that “By 2030, Central University of Technology, Free State will be a leading African university of technology, shaping the future through innovation”.
One of the strategic focus areas is to enhance the CUT Innovation Ecosystem, of which entrepreneurship forms a critical part. The purpose of this communiqué is to share with you some of the recent developments in the field of entrepreneurship at CUT:
- EDHE National Entrepreneurship Intervarsity Competition: Eight students were selected to represent CUT at the regional rounds during 2020, where CUT competed against the University of the Free State, Sol Plaatje University and North-West University. CUT managed to win all four categories (business idea, tech business, social impact, and general business), and these students participated in the national finals that was held on 27 November 2020.
- CUT Entrepreneurship Development Unit (CUT-EDU): Senate approved the establishment of the CUT-EDU at its meeting of 17 March 2021. This Entrepreneurship Centre of Excellence aims to enable CUT to unleash the transformative power of entrepreneurship, and the conversion of all types of innovations into the formation of various types and sizes of ventures in aid of the socio-economic transformation of individuals and communities, in collaboration with CUT Innovation Services (CUTIS).
- CUT-Enactus President wins an award at the Global Youth Innovators programme: Sizolwakhe Mtetwa, a third-year Construction Management student, won an award at the 2021 Global Young Innovators programme. This programme offers forward-thinking entrepreneurial minds from across South Africa and the United Kingdom (UK) a platform to join forces, ignite ideas and co-design solutions that can help solve some of the greatest challenges facing the global community.
- The CUT/SBSA/CMG Entrepreneurial Matriculant of the Year (EMYC): CUT and its partners, Standard Bank South Africa (SBSA) and the Central Media Group (CMG), launched the EMYC, aimed at creating awareness of entrepreneurship amongst learners and schools, and providing an opportunity for matriculants in the Central region of South Africa to submit innovative ideas for new business ventures; grow small-, medium- and micro-sized enterprises (SMMEs); and contribute to the socio-economic development of our country. The first award ceremony was held on 8 May 2021 at CUT.
- Launch and official opening of the i-Gym and FabLab at Welkom campus: The Idea Gymnasium (i-Gym) and Fabrication Laboratory (FabLab), hosted by CUTIS, were extended to the CUT Welkom campus, with state-of-the art facilities and equipment, which were launched and officially opened on 12 May 2021.
- Official opening of the i-Gym at Bloemfontein campus: The official opening of the i-Gym at the CUT Bloemfontein campus, hosted by CUTIS, took place on 11 June 2021. The Chairperson of Council, Cllr Matthew Rantso, represented the CUT Council at this event.
These are a few examples which demonstrate that CUT is firmly on track towards Vision 2030 in as far as addressing the social and economic challenges of the region, the Free State Province, and our country as a whole, is concerned.
Kind regards / Ditumediso tse mofuthu / Vriendelike groete
Prof. Henk de Jager
Vice-Chancellor and Principal
Download the VC Communique, 20 July 2021 (PDF)Uploaded: 20 July 2021
CUT’s gorgeous Hotel School building glass roof is a sight to behold!Management Sciences Hospitality Management CUT News Support Services
It is a start of a new dawn for the CUT Hotel School as it recently embarked on a journey to revamp the...
CUT bids farewell to Registrar MrwetyanaCUT News Leadership
The Central University of Technology bids farewell to Dr Nothemba Pinky Mrwetyana to bring to an end...
Enactus CUT win awards at the 2021 national competition and progress to final roundCUT News Students
Once a year, a group of business, student, and academic leaders from across the country gather to showcase...