CUT is a forward-looking institution that is focused on socio-technological innovations that is based on applied research. Researchers across several departments in the four faculties of CUT undertake cutting-edge interdisciplinary work in the areas of management sciences, natural sciences, social sciences, and engineering.
The researchers are keen on advancing ‘knowledge and its application’. Lean and sustainability practices rely on multidisciplinary knowledge endeavours to change and improve the built environment.
Researchers across faculties in CUT are busy with discipline specific sustainability and efficiency studies. Lean construction and sustainability, either explicitly or implicitly, advocates efficiency at the process level.
Promote efficiency driven built environment conceptualisation, design, construction and use – through education, research, and community engagement in South Africa.
To critically appraise lean construction as an efficiency driven strategy with key aspects tied to management sciences, social sciences, and engineering in order to lead the development of novel strategies for the proliferation of sustainability in the built environment.
The Unit for Lean Construction and Sustainability (ULCS) CUT represents a major advance in lean construction and sustainability teaching, learning and research in South Africa and the wider region. Traditionally, academic entities have focused on discipline specific aspects when engaging with sustainability and lean philosophies.
This unit would go beyond that by offering applied research informed knowledge that would engender context specific understanding of lean construction and sustainability. ULCS rests on a principal question:
what plan of actions would promote lean construction and sustainability in the built environment for enhanced value and continuous improvement propositions.
The future of construction management (YouTube)
- The Future of Construction Management (Part 1 of 2)
- The Future of Construction Management (Part 2 of 2)
Head of Unit
|Dr Bankole Awuzie||Post-Doctoral Research Fellow in Built Environment, CUT|
|Ms Cameron Britz||Junior Lecturer in Built Environment, CUT|
|Ms Leonanda van Eeden||Junior Lecturer in Built Environment, CUT|
|Mr Rasheed Isa||PhD Research Fellow, Lean Construction and Sustainability, CUT|
|Mr Femi Aka||PhD Research Fellow, Waste and Structural Design, CUT|
|Mr TG Monyane||PhD Research Fellow, Lean Construction and Cost Management, CUT|
|Mr BC Burger||Master’s Student, Civil Engineering, CUT|
ULCS collaborating members
- Prof. John Smallwood, Professor and Head, Department of Construction Management, Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University, Port Elizabeth, South Africa (NRF rated researcher).
- Prof. Chrisna du Plessis, Associate Professor, Department of Construction Economics, University of Pretoria, Pretoria, South Africa.
- Dr Alex Opoku, Senior Lecturer, Department of Built Environment, London Southbank University, London, United Kingdom.
- Prof. Tarcisio A Saurin, Associate Professor, Department of Industrial Engineering and Transportation, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil.
- Prof. Dr Ulrich Holzbaur, Sustainable Development and Industrial Management, Aalen University, Germany.
- Dr Dillip K Das, Senior Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering, CUT.
- Dr Mohamed MH Mostafa, Senior Lecturer, Department of Civil Engineering, CUT.
The International Advisory Board
- Dr Cynthia Tsao, Navilean, and Adjunct Professor, Wentworth Institute of Technology, Boston, United States of America.
- Prof. Carlos Formoso, Associate Professor, Department of Civil Engineering, Federal University of Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil.
- Prof. David J Edwards, Professor of Industrial Innovation and Director of Centre for Business Innovation and Enterprise, Birmingham City University, Birmingham, United Kingdom.
- Prof. Chris Gorse, Director of Leeds Sustainability Institute, Leeds Metropolitan University, Leeds, United Kingdom.
- Dr Nicholas Chileshe, School of Natural and Built Environment, Barbara Hardy Institute, University of South Australia, Adelaide, Australia.
- Prof. Dr Eng Adnan Enshassi, Professor of Construction Engineering and Management, The Islamic University of Gaza, Gaza Strip, Palestine.
- Prof. Lincoln Forbes, Principal Consultant, Harding Associates, Inc., and Adjunct Professor, Florida International University, USA (bestselling author of Modern Construction – Lean Project Delivery and Integrated Practices)
Coordinator of Short Courses
Ms Erica Greyling
Tel: +27 (0)51 507 3661 | E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Coordinator of Community Engagement
Mr Mike Border
Tel: +27 (0)51 507 3300 | E-mail: email@example.com
Secretary: Ms S Pheto
Tel.: +27 (0)51 507 3082 | Fax: +27 (0)51 507 3254 | E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Created: 2 December 2015