5th Annual International Conference on Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) in Higher Education
Thursday, October 8, 2020
To be confirmed
8 – 9 October 2020 Bloemfontein, Free State, South Africa
Host: Central University of Technology, Free state
Promoting new pedagogies and teaching practices in higher education
Call for papers
The Scholarship of teaching and Learning (SoTL) invites the submission of papers for its 5th Annual SoTL conference on 8 – 9 October 2020.
The large numbers of students entering Higher Education and their state of readiness and preparedness for this level compels universities to revisit their pedagogies and practices in order to accommodate students from different educational backgrounds. Since the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning (SoTL) is about reflection and improving one’s practice, the proposed Theme for the 5th 2020 Annual SoTL conference at CUT is:
Promoting new pedagogies and teaching practices in higher education.
The aim of this conference is to stimulate debate on higher education policies regarding access and success and explore opportunities and challenges related to teaching and learning in Higher Education. This conference presents such an opportunity, as it will enable delegates and presenters to explore scholarly work in an open and collegial arena.
- Teaching across disciplines and different learning environments
- Innovative approaches in dealing with diversity in large classes.
- Using differentiated instruction to improve teaching and learning.
- Promoting student learning in inclusive learning environments.
- Using educational technology to promote teaching and learning
Papers are invited on any of the identified subthemes. Papers may be of empirical, theoretical, or philosophical nature on any of the subthemes.
We welcome extended abstract of not more than 500 words. Submissions must be sent electronically to the email address supplied below. All abstracts will be internally peer reviewed. The extended abstracts should include the authors' name and affiliations, contact details of the author/s email address. The following elements of the paper should be indicated in the abstract. Aim/purpose/objective of the paper, thrust/focus of paper, methodology if necessary, or theoretical and conceptual frames, preliminary findings and conclusion
Evaluation of papers
- Reviewers for the SoTL conference will consider all abstracts received by the submission deadline (see dates below) to ensure that the proposed abstract is relevant to the Conference.
- The authors of abstracts will receive a notification of their reviewed abstracts and recommended amendments if necessary.
- Full papers will be double-blind peer-reviewed by members of the Scientific Conference Committee to ensure an adequate standard, that the proposed subject of their abstract has been followed, that the paper is of a suitable length, the standard of English is adequate, and the paper is appropriately referenced.
- The SoTL Conference does not have peer reviewed conference proceeding. Papers that are accepted will be published in the conference proceedings provided that at least one author registers and presents the paper at the Conference (see the registration section of the conference website for more information about registration).
Time frame for submission of abstracts and papers
|25 April 2020||Abstracts submission opened|
|03 August 2020||Closing date for abstracts|
|30 June to 30 July 2020||Review period|
|15 August 2020||Notification of acceptance of abstracts|
|Paper presentation||20 minutes presentations for scholarly papers with 10 minutes for discussions (2 presenters per one-hour session|
|Posters||A2 posters (Displayed throughout the conference with presenters in attendance periodically|
|Conference registration opens|
4 May 2020
4 May – 30 June 2020
30 June to 5 August 2020
5 August 2020 – 31 September 2020
ZAR 1 200.00
ZAR 1 500.00
ZAR 2 000.00
ZAR 1 500.00
ZAR 1 750.00
ZAR 2 500.00
Register online to attend
- Payment Information is on the registration form
- Invoices are available on request. When registering online, please specify that you require an invoice to be issued in the comment/remark section. Please note that once an invoice is issued, the invoices is liable for payment regardless of attendance.
Prof. SN Matoti
Tel.: +27(0) 51 507 3636 | E-mail: email@example.com
Ms Dineo Mopeli
Tel.: +27(0) 51 507 3027 E- mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
CUT and partners bring power of artificial intelligence to graduatesCUT News
CUT has introduced Microsoft’s Artificial Intelligence programme (AI) to address the demand in the province,...
CUT encourages a culture that embraces inclusivity, diversity, and equalityCUT News
Discrimination based on sexual orientation and gender identity remains a thorny issue in South Africa...
Communiqué to the CUT Community: Heartfelt condolencesCUT News
Dear CUT CommunityDuring these trying times, we are all experiencing elevated levels of anxiety, uncertainty,...