A 37% increase in research outputs is an achievement well worth celebrating at CUT
The Central University of Technology, Free State (CUT) leads the Universities of Technologies (UoTs) sector with the highest publication output. Senate is pleased to report the following Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) approved the outcome of the 2018 research outputs.
CUT was awarded 170.2 credit units (journal articles, published conference proceedings and books/chapters in books). The 2018 outcome is an increase of 62.98 credit units compared to the 107.22 credit units awarded for 2017. This represents a 37% increase in credit units from 2017-2018.
Credit units were awarded for the following research outputs:
- Journals: 105.1251 credit units
- Conference proceedings: 58.8855 credit units
- Books/Chapters in books: 6.1937 credit units
Based on the DHET Report on the evaluation of the 2018 universities’ research outputs, here are the notable achievements:
- CUT has the highest output of all UoTs: per capita research publication output (normalised by a headcount of permanent academic employees) (2018) = 0.58 research units. This is against the sector average of 0.97 research publication outputs.
- CUT takes second place for weighted per capita research among UoTs: weighted per capita research output (2018) = 0.90 credit units. This includes publications, Masters and Doctoral qualifications.
- CUT still leads the sector in academic employees with doctorates: The proportion of academic employees with doctorate as the highest qualification (2018) is 40%. This is against the Higher Education sector average of 48%. However, CUT leads the UoT sector where the average is 29%.
Well done to all the CUT authors for their valuable contributions to various research fields and the success of the University’s Research, Innovation and Engagement portfolio.Uploaded: 12 June 2020
For the love of food - CUT lecturer chats about her careerFaculty of Management Sciences CUT News Teaching and Learning
Dr Lisa-Mari Coughlan is a senior lecturer at the Central University of Technology Hotel School. Earlier...
CUT students showcase at Turbine Art Fair 2020CUT News Students Teaching and Learning
Three CUT students recently showcased their artwork at the Turbine Art Fair 2020, an online art exhibition...
Cytotechnologist and CUT Alumnus makes her mark in health careFaculty of Health and Environmental Sciences CUT News Alumni
Ms Bogadi Lorato Mongale is a Cytotechnologist who has dedicated her career to laboratory health services...