Student academic development and support renders the following services:
Teaching and learning development and support activities
- Student evaluation of teaching and module content
- Orientation of first-year students
- Coordinates the student peer-mentorship programme
- Coordinates academic advising
- Peer evaluation of academic staff
- Co-ordinates the implementation of teaching and learning plans
Supplemental Instruction (SI)
SI is an academic assistance programme that aims to increase student performance and retention.
- It is offered at first-, second-, and third-year levels to assist students with their academic studies.
- It targets high-risk courses rather than high-risk students, and aims to improve the pass rate of students.
- SI is presented in the form of peer-facilitated sessions, and incorporates principles of peer-collaborative learning.
- SI aims to improve learning skills such as thinking and reasoning, responsibility and reflection.
- Provides advice on any learning disability-related issues.
- Provides counselling for students with disabilities.
- Provides assistance to students who require extra time during tests and assessments.
- Provides software for blind and partially sighted students.
- Ensures access to the campus for physically handicapped students.
- Provides information to lecturing staff regarding the needs of disabled students.
Supplemental Instruction and students with special needs coordinator: Mr Jackie Bosch
Tel: +27 (0)51 507 3704 | E-mail: email@example.com | Student Academic Support Centre, Room 131
Teaching and Learning Coordinators
Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences: Ms Nozimanga Mphumela
Tel: +27 (0)51 507 3383 | E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org | School of Health Technology, Room 07
Faculty of Humanities: Mr Benedict Molokwane
Tel: +27 (0)51 507 4117 | E-mail: email@example.com | Teacher Education Building, Room 119
Teaching and Learning Manager
Faculty of Engineering and Information Technology: Prof. AJ Swart
Tel: +27 (0)51 507 3907 | E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org | BHP Billiton Building, Room 0101
Created: 21 June 2017